[permaculture] Material for raised bed

John Irwin jwirwin at permaculture.net
Tue Jul 30 10:16:01 EDT 2002

Pc Pals:

Re: cob walls

I like this idea.  We have Jeavons-style raised beds in our
garden which rests on a mild slope & I always wish the walls
didn't crumble & the bed would keep its original shape.

A big advantage of raised beds is that it allows more air &
more water in the soil but does not get too wet or too dry.
We have a drought going here, but our veggies are doing
OK.

Has anyone tried this cob-type method & does it allow the soil
breath adequately?

Would something cruder, more like mud work pretty
well?

For Pc & Peace,

John