[permaculture] diploma in permaculture design

Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media pacedge at magna.com.au
Sat Jul 27 00:26:43 EDT 2002

Mark has an interesting point below, but I suspect that few people have
his breadth of knowledge, so a design or similar course might still be
worthwhile for most people.

I am not making assumptions about Mark's knowledge or abilities, however
the people I have met who considered themselves capable permaculture
designers and who have not completed a course lacked some of the core
understandings of the design system, such as concepts of integration of
elements.

I do not know the situation in north America, but in Australia there
have been a (too few) number of paid employment opportunities which
asked for a design course certificate. A further benefit of the design
course has been its ability to 'empower' course participants and enthuse
them to take action in their own lives and homes or in the community.

Here, Permaculture International has taken the initiative to start
development of a module-based design course to be accredited as
vocational training with the nation's training authority. The course
will be considerably longer and far more detailed and rigorous then the
existing range of design courses on offer, but will not replace existing
courses which will continue to be offered as community education-level
uncertified training.

This is seen as a natural evolution of permaculture education in
Australia for which there has been some demand for some years.

I find Mark's advice that a design course is unnecessary to validate the
opinion of some in this country that there are substantial deficiencies
in the present structure of design courses, deficiencies that some
trainers have moved to remedy in their own course structure. The
proposed accredited course will also remedy this for people requiring a
vocational certificate in permaculture design.

Marks' comment that a design course is valuable to 'neophytes' is true.
The course, even the very conventional course structure stipulated by
the Permaculture Institute but largely ignored, provides newcomers with
a broad but not particularly deep comprehension of the design system and
leaves plenty of 'information holes' for them to fill in with further
study.

Russ Grayson
Sydney, Australia