[permaculture] diploma in permaculture design

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 26 16:35:55 EDT 2002

At 01:03 PM 7/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
>At 07:45 AM 7/26/02 -0500, you wrote:
>>My advise is to ignore the absurd obsession people have with getting
>>their shiny PC certificate.  I have yet to take any PC design course.  I
>>have enough knowledge gained from organic farming, grazing, landscaping,
>>ecological restoration and a quick trip through the design manual that it
>>would be a waste of my time to take such a course.   IF you can read the
>>books, get out and look at some sites, network with others and fill in
>>any gaps in your education on how to patch the world up a PC course is
>>not necessary.  It is only really valuable if you are a relative
>>neophyte.  This view is mine alone, I'm sure others will suggest you take
>>a course, and if you have the time and money it sounds like fun.  If not
>>just go for it and don't worry about the folks that think PC is a trade
>>marked club for those who went to school.
>>

>>Mark P. Ludwig
>>Poultry Research Lab
>>University of Wisconsin -Madison
>>608-262-1730 WK
>>608-846-7125 HM
>

>For those of us who were not born all seeing and knowing a permaculture
>course is a great way to go and there are some great teachers out there
>giving good courses, none of them could benefit Mr. Ludwig, I'm sure, but
>perhaps others might have a slight gap in their knowledge.  How would one
>know if a course was a waste of time if one hasn't taken the time to check
>it out?
>
>Scott
>Director
>PC Institute

I expected there would be some snotty reply, nice to not be
disappointed.  My point is that the knowledge is the important part, and
that plenty of folks have it before they ever hear of PC.  I don't dispute
the value of design courses per se, just wether the are really needed for
folks with a good knowledge base.  BTW it took a while to get my knowledge
base, growing up with a field ecologist father provided a good start,
collage level work in soils added to it etc etc. Those with similar
backgrounds should save their money or at least take the course in Maui
during  January (June for those in the global south).