[permaculture] Material for raised bed

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Thu Jul 25 19:26:27 EDT 2002

I used to go nuts (and broke!) hunting for the perfect toxin-free
planks to make raised beds. Nowadays, I just raise beds up with spade
and fork and use them unframed. Unless you have a need to have a
physical barrier around the bed, you can get all the benefits of a
raised bed by simply digging it properly. I got my insights on this
while reading a book on vegetable production in China. John Jeavon's
books also give directions on how to make non-eroding raised beds
without the use of wood, stone or plastic frames.

_Allan Balliett