[permaculture] Material for raised bed

Heide Hermary heidehermary at pacificcoast.net
Thu Jul 25 15:03:46 EDT 2002

The copper compounds used in wood treatment are also highly toxic and about to be
withdrawn from the market.
I have been told that charring the wood plank on the soil side increases its life
span in the soil. I heard this in connection with the use of western red cedar,
which resists decay as long as it is not in direct soil contact. Does anybody
have experience with this?
Heide