[permaculture] Material for raised bed

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 25 13:24:07 EDT 2002

At 11:10 AM 7/25/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What's the right material to build raised beds?  Are AC2 treated woods safe
>for vegetable gardens?  How about those plastic deck boards?  Thanks for the
>answers!
>
>Michael

A few Ideas...
Black locust is great, don't inhale the dust from it though, clots your
blood.  O sage orange and oak are also rot resistant.  There are references
on wood characteristics out there so you can check for locally available
stuff.  As for treated lumber, if you can find it WO arsenic you should be
OK.  Plastic is Ok with me, help pump up the recycling market.  You might
also consider used concrete, plenty available in more less stack able
slabs.  You might even get paid to haul it away.  You could chink it
together with soil and plant herbs, violets, strawberries etc in the cracks
to keep it looking good.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison