[permaculture] Living mulch garden update

Ute Bohnsack sustag at eircom.net
Fri Jul 19 14:11:06 EDT 2002

Hello Mark,
I would be interested to know how your system fairs as regards slug
damage. For comparison - would you have much slug damage in a normal
system with open soil?
I only spend 4 weeks in Madison at the height of summer, so never got
the full 'garden story'.

Cheers,
Ute

Mark wrote:

> The concept is fairly straight forward, I plant most of my plants into a
> growing carpet of white clover.  This is my third year with the
> practice.  I mow the clover to control weeds and to generate mulch for the
> soil.  The is also quite a bit of black medic volunteering in the beds,
> though this tends to decline rapidly in the late summer.  Many of my
> transplants were from root trainers, a very narrow but tall type of pot, to
> plant I just jacked open the soil with a spading fork and inserted the
> plug.  Worked great.  For direct seeded crops I use a weed burning LP gas
> torch, two hot passes pretty much knocks out the clover, but also tends to
> encourage crab grass, a prostrate c-4 annual.  If you have any specific
> questions I would be glad to answer them.
> Mark

Break the mould - commit random acts of kindness.

Dipl.-Ing. TU Landschafts- und Freiraumplanung
Ute Bohnsack
Sailchearnach, Clogher, Kilfenora, Co. Clare, Ireland
mailto:sustag at eircom.net
Agri-Environmental Consultancy and Translation Services
(English-German-English)
http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/index.html
                ~~~~~~~~~
Seedsavers Resources http://homepage.eircom.net/~merlyn/seedsaving.html