[permaculture] Living mulch garden update

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 19 08:37:01 EDT 2002

The concept is fairly straight forward, I plant most of my plants into a
growing carpet of white clover.  This is my third year with the
practice.  I mow the clover to control weeds and to generate mulch for the
soil.  The is also quite a bit of black medic volunteering in the beds,
though this tends to decline rapidly in the late summer.  Many of my
transplants were from root trainers, a very narrow but tall type of pot, to
plant I just jacked open the soil with a spading fork and inserted the
plug.  Worked great.  For direct seeded crops I use a weed burning LP gas
torch, two hot passes pretty much knocks out the clover, but also tends to
encourage crab grass, a prostrate c-4 annual.  If you have any specific
questions I would be glad to answer them.
Mark