[permaculture] Prairies and Forests

Loren Davidson lorenstwin at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 14:17:16 EDT 2002

If I may stick a penny or two in here...
--- Mark <mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu> wrote:
> At 09:06 AM 7/8/02 -0500, you wrote:
> >Furthermore, there may have been wildfires once upon a time, the
> frequency
> >of which I believe to still be disputed, but fire is too dangerous
> and
> >destructive of a tool to RELY on for prairie maintenance.
>
> Total bunk.  Fire is easy to manage if you know what you're doing,

With all due respect...why then do some of the worst fires I've read
about seem to be "controlled" burns that got out of control?  The big
New Mexico fire of a year or two back comes to mind...

I'd be willing to bet that each of you has good points and
methodologies that will work under some circumstances.  The danger, as
always, lies in assuming that what works in situation A will work
everywhere, or that what appears to work in the first few months or
years after an event is right for the system in the longer term.  So
maybe you're both right? :)

There are definitely ecologies that are structured around occasional
fires.  We have a number of those in California, and the debate still
rages as to whether manmade burns and/or premature suppression of
wildfires help or hurt the overall ecology.

Build soil,

Loren

=====
Loren Davidson   Permaculturist, healer, singer/songwriter
loren at farwalker.com | http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
"Planting on impulse, without thinking of the long-term commitment of a growing garden, is almost as irresponsible as a momentary frolic on the flatbed of a Toyota 4x4." - P. Young & P. Jones, "Get Your Act Together"