[permaculture] River Rouge Ford Plant

Toby Hemenway hemenway at jeffnet.org
Mon Jul 1 13:20:50 EDT 2002

on 7/1/02 8:29 AM, Mark at mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu wrote:

> At least in Bussiness week, possibly Wired?
>
> At 10:29 AM 7/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
>> mark:  where have you seen references to this?  is there anything on the net?
>>
>> Mark wrote:
>>
>> I am watching the rebuilding of Ford motor
>>
>>> company's river rouge plant in Michigan with particular interest as it will
>>> be the largest living roof in the world once completed and have a huge
>>> living machine water treatment system.  This is the kind of project that
>>> will take sound design to the next level precisely because bean counters
>>> will scrutinize it and the Wall Street Journal will report on it.

William McDonough is the architect (usually written "visionary architect")
behind the rebuilding/greening of the huge Ford plant near Detroit (My
father was an auto exec, so I toured it a few times as kid: coal and ore in
one end, cars out the other). It's been written up in Wired
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.02/mcdonough.html
 and Wall Street Journal, lots of places. Another link for the story is at
McDonough's site:
http://www.mcdonoughpartners.com/projects/p_ford_rouge.html

Toby
For a look at my new book on ecological gardening,
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, visit
http://www.chelseagreen.com/Garden/GaiasGarden.htm