[permaculture] Permaculture on National Public Radio

Toby Hemenway hemenway at jeffnet.org
Mon Jul 1 13:20:50 EDT 2002

on 7/1/02 8:29 AM, Mark at mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu wrote:

> At least in Bussiness week, possibly Wired?
>
> At 10:29 AM 7/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
>> mark:  where have you seen references to this?  is there anything on the net?
>>
>> Mark wrote:
>>
>> I am watching the rebuilding of Ford motor
>>
>>> company's river rouge plant in Michigan with particular interest as it will
>>> be the largest living roof in the world once completed and have a huge
>>> living machine water treatment system.  This is the kind of project that
>>> will take sound design to the next level precisely because bean counters
>>> will scrutinize it and the Wall Street Journal will report on it.

Last Wednesday an interview with me and Mary Zemach, who has a Pc site in
Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA, aired on National Public Radio's Morning
Edition. The web page for the interview is
http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingplants/features/2002/hemenway/index.html
and there's a link there for those who want to hear the 8 minute broadcast.

It's prompted a huge amount of email to me, to NPR, to my publisher, and
shot my book's ranking on Amazon from about #3000 to  #140. It's about using
Pc strategies for water conservation. The publicity should be good for
permaculture.

Toby
For a look at my new book on ecological gardening,
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, visit
http://www.chelseagreen.com/Garden/GaiasGarden.htm