[permaculture] Dryland greenhouse

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 25 13:37:43 EST 2002

> >The plumber suggest putting the
> > water pipes 5 feet below ground to avoid any freezing.
>
>Put a strip of rigid foam insulation above them in their trenches and
>you can probably just put them a foot or two down - same concept as the
>FPSF, creating a little strip of earth under the insulation sheltered
>from air and sky (radiation heat loss) temps.

Folks,
I agree with everything but this.  If this is a critical water line I would
bury it good and deep.  The winters seem to get goofyer all the time and
snow cover that gives some insolation has gotten less reliable.  For this
reason alone I think sticking with proven depths is more critical these
days.  I have been forced to try the foam due to rock in the past and have
frozen up the lines.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison