[permaculture] Worms eat my crap?

Rex Teague DibbleGardens at bigfoot.com
Mon Feb 18 15:15:26 EST 2002

On 19 Feb 02, Bryan Innes & Joanna Pearsall wrote:

> Dowmus was operating in NZ, from Waiheke Island.
> I will try to find the ref. for you.

Sometime ago I was in touch with them Jo but they weren't planning
to ship the tanks south because of the high cost of freight across
Cook Strait. http://www.ralenti.co.nz/products/dowm001.html

> If you insulate the barrel, then low temperatures can be avoided.

Insulating/heating goes against my 'keep it simple' temperament. 8-)

> I think the Dowmus system works whit the "worm farm"
> underground, in which case the temperature must remain fairly
> steady, Worms work best at about 24 C. but they are still active
> down to 10C- but a lot slower. I guess the micro-organisms are not
> very active at that temp.

Thanks... this is the type of data I'm after. My plan is to bury the tank
and I'm progressing with the hypothesis that a larger tank and
population of worms and beetles will compensate for their lower
activity. Hope my logic is sound??

Cheerio... Rex