[permaculture] Growing most nutrition WAS propagating elderberries and Front Yard

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Mon Feb 18 17:48:08 EST 2002

At 11:04 PM 2/17/02 -0600, you wrote:
> [...]

Their variety and productivity is amazing.  Another interesting experiment
with detailed data was done by Albie Miles
http://www.cityfarmer.org/albie.html .
His plan is good from the standpoint of nutrition and soil fertility.  He
was doing this
as a short term academic project, so the focus was on annuals.

>get a lot of light on our growing areas all around the calendar.  One
>of the things I think about a lot is how that will change as the semi
>dwarf fruit trees grow.

If you put the fruit trees closer to the house, you could still get most of
the light
on the lower growing things.  This would also give an extra benefit of
airconditioning
for the house.  If the trees are closer to the road, you might be able to  grow
more greens and lettuce in the summer between the trees and the house by taking
advantage of the shade.  This might get you a couple extra weeks of greens
before they bolt.  A few other considerations...If the trees are tall enough
  that nuts will drop on the house, I can say from personal experience
  that it's difficult to get any sleep during the
weeks they are falling on the roof.  Cherries and cherry-bird-poop are very
rough on car paint.   Many of the things that you are planting are very
beautiful in bloom, so I bet your yard will be a visual delight.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net