[permaculture] propagating elderberries

Loren Davidson loren at farwalker.com
Mon Feb 18 14:56:57 EST 2002

At 10:13 PM 2/17/02 -0600, Robert Waldrop wrote:

>A related aspect of this is what would a guild of elderberries look
>like.  Or where elderberries might fit into another guild, like the
>fruit trees I'm planting.

I have a book on California native shrubs; it mentions that elderberry is
often found in the company of Western redbud here, a tall (10-20')
deciduous N-fixer shrub.  I am currently trying that association out on my
own property.

There is also an Eastern redbud.  Redbud has lovely-colored flowers in the
spring and colored leaves in the fall; it would make a nice ornamental and
mulch-producing plant, as well as possible animal forage on the seed
pods.  I don't know what would eat redbud seed pods though.

Build soil,

Loren

Loren Davidson        Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren at farwalker.com   http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334     ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S.
Ivanova, ret.