[permaculture] Mineral requirements of plants - ecological niches

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflondon at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 3 21:57:37 EST 2002

Date:         Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:47:22 -0500
Sender:       Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group
               <SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
From:         Joel Gruver <jgruv at HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: mineral requirements of plant

 Hello Heide,

 In plant community ecology, one of the interesting debates is how
"realized
 niches" relate to "fundamental niches". For those not familiar with
these
 terms, "realized niche" refers to how a species actually fits into
natural
 ecosystems. In contrast, "fundamental niche" refers to the set of
abiotic
conditions under which a plant will grow "best".

 Scotch pine (Pinus sylvestris) is a good example of a species with
 contrasting fundamental and realized niches. In natural ecosystems,
Scotch
 pine is normally found in peripheral environments... low fertility and
very
 wet or very dry... in plantation systems, Scotch pine grows best with
ample
 moisture and fertility.

 When choosing plants for ornamental landscapes, it is valuable to keep
in
 mind that the niches occupied by species in natural ecosystems tend to
be
 more indicative of their tolerances, than where they will do the "best"
from
 a horticultural perspective.

 Joel

 >From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary at PACIFICCOAST.NET>
 >To: SANET-MG at LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU
 >Subject: [SANET-MG] mineral requirements of plant
 >Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:04:08 -0800
 >
 >Hi everyone,
 >I know this is an agriculture forum, but I'll ask anyway:
 >
 >I am looking for a reference that groups ornamental plants according
 >their mineral (not nitrogen) requirements, or the mineral fertility of
 >their natural habitat. Conversely there might be descriptions of
soils,
 >including their mineral fertility, and the plants that have adapted to
 >them.  It's not something I have ever come across in horticulture, but
 >surely somebody must have done some work on that?
 >
 >I'll greatly appreciate any information at all!
 >
 >Thanks, Heide

<><><><>