Diploma specialisation fields

John Irwin jwirwin at permaculture.net
Mon Oct 1 12:28:12 EDT 2001

1earth permaculture wrote:

> Hi Folks :)
> I'm trying to locate the fields of specialization that one can
> undertake to work towards the Diploma as a Permaculture Consultant -
> these are on page 13 of #19 Permaculture Journal. Does anyone know if
> this is on the web somewhere. Thanks in advance :))
> Marcus Webb

Hi Marcus -

I'm sure you are referring to the 2-year diploma,  and not
the 72-hour Permaculture trainee/apprentice certificate.

Below is the information as printed on page 81 of the American
Permaculture Directory, also listed on the website,
in the American Permaculture Directory section.

This information is from Mollison's Foundation
Year-Book of the Permaculture Academy, printed in
1993, so one would still have to contact Mollison
for updates & procedures.

NOTE:  As far as I know, he is the
only one granting diplomas, but even though I have
been told I have earned one & applied for it over
two years ago, I am still waiting.



 Diploma - After 2 years of applied work, students can forward an application for a
diploma of applied design.  (May take 3-4 years).   The application must be
accompanied by affidavits from co-workers, field reports, photos, journal articles,
or supporting evidence.  $30 Australian.

                           Fields which qualify for diplomate work :
ADMINISTRATION - Directing,  conducting or assisting consultancy groups, associations
& institutes & developing strategies in Pc work

ARCHITECTURE & BUILDING - Designing or building low-cost & low-energy use dwellings
or structures

COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT - Planning, assisting with, or implementing community
development projects, urban systems, villages, or work with disadvantaged groups


EDUCATION - Working on curricula, teaching, or course work in Pc education

FINANCE & BUSINESS - Setting up or operating financial systems for ethical
investment, community revolving funds, or other self-financing systems for

MANUFACTURING- Establishing or creating strategies or workshops producing hardware or
goods for Pc design use, or essential technology;  researching & marketing such

MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS - Creating or operating publications or audio-visual aids to
communication & education in the Pc system.  Software development

RESEARCH - Making a significant contribution to research in the area of field or
academic research into Pc systems & needs


SITE DEVELOPMENT - Designing & working on their own or another site as a
demonstration of Pc principles

SITE DESIGN  - Completing designs for others in Pc systems (usually not less than 10


SYSTEM ESTABLISHMENT & IMPLEMENTATION - Setting up or operating nurseries, earth
moving systems, soil conservation strategies, or the supply of goods or services to
the Pc system; working on the implementation of design systems




        ìEach diploma issued will have one or more of the above categories written in
the space provided; thus, the diploma will indicate just where the graduate is
considered to be competent.  At any time, graduates may apply for new diplomas
carrying additional categories in which they have been involved for at least one
          Trainees may apply for diplomas after the completion  of two years applied
work; diplomas will be issued by the continental institutes, =ho will keep a register
of graduates.  trainees can be nominated for a diploma by the teachers, or by a group
of two or more teachers, or by a group of two or more graduates of the college who
can attest to their work.  for those working in remote areas, an account of work
completed or in progress should be forwarded to the local (continental) institute.
Trainee designers are expected to deep in contact with a graduate group.
          Diplomas may, in special cases, be issued to people who have shown
competence in one or other of the above areas, but who have not completed a course.
However, such people are not to assume teaching positions without completing formal
courses of 72 hours under a qualified teacher.
          Higher degrees may be applied for through the Research Supervisor of the
local (continental) institutue.  Such work must make a significant contribution to
design processes in the fields of Pcî

........Bill Mollison

> __________________________________________________________________
> Get your free Australian email account at http://www.start.com.au
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: jwirwin at permaculture.net
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-permaculture at franklin.oit.unc.edu
> Get the list FAQ at: http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/private/permaculture/attachments/20011001/627b3a96/attachment.html 

More information about the permaculture mailing list