Plant DB - data & user friendly

John Schinnerer eco_living at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 02:20:18 EST 2001

Aloha,

>  _Useful_/_may be used_/traditionally used in  PC zone 2, 3, <other>

To me this is not useful information, at least not in a PC sense of
usefulness.  I also think it can be misleading in a very basic sense.

If I am ignorant of the PC emphasis on relations, it makes me *think* I
know something about this plant in a PC sense (aha, it goes in zone 2
or 3!) when I really do not.

I can stick it in zone 2 or 3, it says so in the PC plant database...so
what?  Where, what context, in what sort of guilding, what relations to
other plants (which ones?), what functions does it provide and support
in zone 2, in zone 3 (same or different for each zone?)...??

I think a combination of other information in the DB (such as info that
answers my questions above) will support designers in recognizing
appropriate uses of a given plant, and those uses will determine what
zone they end up being used in in any particular design.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing