A Lttle Humour

Gerry Hawkes ghawkes at sover.net
Fri Dec 14 12:16:50 EST 2001


Darn!  Well, so much for funding charities with the brilliance of my
forwarded jokes.

- Gerry
http://www.biketrack.com/pollution.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Dean <mikedean.com at altavista.com>
To: permaculture <permaculture at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Friday, December 14, 2001 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: A Lttle Humour


>Gerry - nice try,
>
>But the joke is ageist, attempts to find humour in the misfortune of others
and I have to say that I personally do not find the joke funny which of
course is a definite requirement if something is to be considered a joke.
>
>So I find the joke not funny, ageist, and cruel!!
>
>Sorry, the £10 is still on the table, but only for the next 7 days as the
clammer for the dosh will be just to great.
>
>Yours in deep depression, Mike.
>
>On Fri, 14 December 2001, "Gerry Hawkes" wrote:
>
>>
>> Mike -
>>
>> You don't need to send £ 10 (you probably weren't offering it to me
anyway),
>> but I think the following joke is applicable to the discussion and should
>> offend no one.  (unless they are an ass)
>>
>> Here goes (donate the £ 10 to charity):
>>
>> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>
>> The boy rode on the donkey and the old man walked. As they went along
they
>> passed some people who remarked it was a shame the old man was walking
and
>> the boy was riding. The man and boy thought maybe the critics were right,
>> so they changed positions.
>>
>> Later, they passed some people that remarked, "What a shame, he makes
that
>> little boy walk" They then decided they both would walk! Soon they
passed
>> some more people who thought they were stupid to walk when they had a
decent
>> donkey to ride. So, they both rode the donkey.
>>
>> Now they passed some people that shamed them by saying how awful to put
such
>> a load on a poor donkey. The boy and man said they were probably right,
so
>> they decided to carry the donkey. As they crossed the bridge, they lost
>> their grip on the animal and he fell into the river and  drowned.
>>
>> The moral of the story? If you try to please everyone, you might as well
>> kiss your ass good-bye.
>>
>> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>>
>> Disclaimer:  I really do like donkey's and this joke's sole purpose is
for
>> humour (with a small educational component).  It is no reflection on the
>> character of donkeys and is not intended to offend in anyway.  Any
>> similarities to characters either living or dead is purely coincidental.
>>
>> - Gerry Hawkes
>> http://www.biketrack.com/pollution.htm
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Michael Dean <mikedean.com at altavista.com>
>> To: permaculture <permaculture at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>> Date: Friday, December 14, 2001 6:02 AM
>> Subject: Re: Genderisms
>>
>>
>> >Dear Sean,
>> >
>> >In order that I do not tread on any toes when it comes to humour, would
you
>> please give us an actual example of a joke which not offend anybody at
all.
>> (If you achieve this, I'll send you £10)
>> >
>> >Wish you the best of luck.
>> >
>> >Mike.
>> >
>> >On Fri, 14 December 2001, "S.K. Harrison" wrote:
>> >
>> >>
>> >> > From: "Lee Flier" <lflier at mindspring.com>
>> >>
>> >> <snip>
>> >> > You can't say anything
>> >> > even in jest without somebody getting their
>> >> > panties all in a wad. I'm a very sensitive
>> >> > person, and I hate stereotypes more than almost
>> >> > anything, but humor like this doesn't do
>> >> > anything to "perpetuate" stereotypes. If
>> >> > anything, poking fun at a stereotype can help
>> >> > to break it down.  How can people ever become
>> >> > close if they can't laugh together, including
>> >> > about sensitive issues?
>> >>
>> >> Please see my post to Gene in this thread, re
>> >> tact and the diverse politics of our
>> >> community-at-large. I address the issues you
>> >> raise here.
>> >>
>> >> In summary, however, we can laugh together fine
>> >> without having to resort to limited forms of
>> >> humour that fail to acknowledge the wild
>> >> diversity of permaculturists and people in
>> >> general (men, women, the intersexed and
>> >> bigendered, yuppies, hippies, techies, luddites,
>> >> monogamists, polyamorists, gay, bi, straight,
>> >> etc). Such acknowledgement does take more work
>> >> and consideration, but I'll bet the results would
>> >> prove worth the effort, both in learning about
>> >> others, and in sharing a laugh with such
>> >> different folks.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> > And even if I didn't think the posts were funny
>> >> > I'd just hit the delete key and leave it at
>> >> > that, rather than tell others what is
>> >> > appropriate to think and say.  Will the Thought
>> >> > Police please give it a rest?
>> >>
>> >> Lay off the ad hominems. I expressed my opinion.
>> >> I do not have the power to restrict anything on
>> >> this list. You can post whatever you want, but I
>> >> will speak out when I consider it necessary.
>> >>
>> >> Sean
>> >>
>> >> ______________________________________________________
>> >> Send your holiday cheer with http://greetings.yahoo.ca
>> >>
>> >> ---
>> >> You are currently subscribed to permaculture as:
>> mikedean.com at altavista.com
>> >> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> leave-permaculture at franklin.oit.unc.edu
>> >> Get the list FAQ at:
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq
>> >
>> >
>> >Find the best deals on the web at AltaVista Shopping!
>> >http://www.shopping.altavista.com
>> >
>> >---
>> >You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: ghawkes at sover.net
>> >To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> leave-permaculture at franklin.oit.unc.edu
>> >Get the list FAQ at:
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq
>> >
>>
>>
>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to permaculture as:
mikedean.com at altavista.com
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
leave-permaculture at franklin.oit.unc.edu
>> Get the list FAQ at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq
>
>
>Find the best deals on the web at AltaVista Shopping!
>http://www.shopping.altavista.com
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: ghawkes at sover.net
>To unsubscribe send a blank email to
leave-permaculture at franklin.oit.unc.edu
>Get the list FAQ at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/permaculture.faq
>




More information about the permaculture mailing list