Take action now to save mail order shipping of poultry.

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Sat Aug 18 16:27:58 EDT 2001

I agree with the sentiments expressed below but in practice it hasn't
worked here in New Mexico.  The only local hatchery went out of business
last year due to lack of high enough volume and high taxes on his
business.  Our only source of chicks has been from large hatcheries.  Our
attempts to find breeds that still have the brooding instinct has thus far
not produced any results.  We have tried breeds, like the Rhoad Island Red,
and others which seem to loose interest in setting after a day or two.  I
attribute this to them having lost this basic instinct over many
generations of incubation in an incubator instead of under a mama
hen.  Meanwhile we are ordering over forty chickens a year for meat and
layer replacement.

Until there is a consistent local supplier or we find a good brood hen or
hens we are dependent on shipping our birds in.

Scott