Will USDA label be obsolete? Efforts to certify by higher standards. (fwd)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. london at sunsite.unc.edu
Wed Jan 14 12:41:09 EST 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:12:14 EST
From: BRateaver <BRateaver at aol.com>
To: organic-certification at listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Will USDA label be obsolete? Efforts to certify by higher standards.

I noted that in Denmark, at the last IFOAM meeting there, that this problem
came up, and immediately organic producers thought of making their own HIGHER
standards clear--BUT it was explained that this would not be permitted. There
would be a law against saying, in effect: "My product is organically sure by
even better standards than those of the USDA".

Obviously, the USDA does not want any better standards to be touted. It has
already shown itself to want to include the bad things the big commercial
sources want to include.

Couldn't everyone foresee what a hideous mess would result as soon as the govt
got into it? Always wicked.