Mosquitoes and Bats

Elfpermacl Elfpermacl at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 11:29:38 EST 1998

In a message dated 1/10/98 1:50:31 PM, yount at csf.Colorado.EDU wrote:

<<Their web site says,
"A single little brown bat can catch 600 mosquitoes in just one hour."

Given that some bats act as pollinators, I wonder if anyone, in
the vein of butterfly gardens, is keen on bat gardens.  :)

Michael
yount at csf.colorado.edu

Hi Michael:

I don't think that the pollinator bats and fruit bats eat mosquitoes.  But
maybe the pollinators are eating insects attracted to their diet or maybe they
are strangely specialized "omni"vores.  Anyone know for sure?

Dan