cover crop resources

Permaculture West permawest at olywa.net
Sat Aug 9 03:35:52 EDT 1997

	I was planning on using 55 gallon drums for rainwater catchment and
storage until I realized how much rust had accumulated along the inside of
each barrel.  Does any one know if this rust would pose a significant risk
to plants that are irrigated with the water?  Is there such a thing as iron
toxicity or might there be other elements leached from the rust that would
be problematic in garden soils?  I live in the Pacific NW and to my
knowledge the basalt that comprises our parent material already lends a
moderate degree of Fe to our soils.