Soil testing (fwd)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. london at sunsite.unc.edu
Thu Jul 18 23:10:52 EDT 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:20:02 EDT
From: Francois Quesnel <FQUESNEL at lrs.uoguelph.ca>
To: sanet-mg at amani.ces.ncsu.edu
Subject: Soil testing

Hello everyone,

      I am a graduate student in soil biology and I have a few
questions for those of you who are involved in crop consulting in the
context of sustainable or organic farming.

      It seems to me that the commercial soil testing procedures have
not evolved past conventional agriculture.  What I mean is that even
though the role of soil biology in crop production is now being
recognized, laboratories still only test for P, K, Ca, Mg etc. (at
least around here).

      So my questions are:

      Do organic or sustainable farmers and consultants feel the need
for other types of analysis?  If yes, what kind?

      Are there any commercial labs out there that deal with those
alternative types of analysis?

      I do realize that part of what it means to farm sustainably is
to deal with the complexity of soil-plant relationships and that
simple solutions like looking up a soil test result in a table to
decide how much phosphorus to apply are hardly applicable here.

      It seems to me that because of the complexity of the system and
the lack of analytical tools to better understand it, a lot of the
decision making process relies on the farmer's or consultant's own
experience.

      This is where I believe there might be room for innovation.
What do you think?

Best regards

Francois Quesnel
Department of Land Resource Science