Income and Tax and love

April Sampson-Kelly askpv at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jul 8 10:00:45 EDT 1996

In Australia, there is support for small business in the form of Tax incentives and
I would assume that this notion came from capitalist states and so would be
supported in your government too.

If you are in partnership with your wife (may as well be seeing debt is
sexually transmitted!)  who pays tax, then you should be able to
offset your insufficient income with a tax benefit on her return.
In Australia you have to
show that your partner is actively involved -
you also need an income in the business that is about
$2000 to prove you are not a hobby - you must also show that you are
Working  and running a business - not just dreaming about doing it.
So keep records of site and customers etc.  you would do this anyway.
On showing activity in the business:
E.g. my partner supports our software
crashes and we couldn't manage without his support.  He edits the courses.
He also helps a lot in the garden when he can (on weekends)
this he would happily do anyway.
So, we have a legitamate partnership and he is an integral part of our small business
with a similar income to yours.
Without the tax return - wages would seem intolerably low however, I do this work
because I feel its needed and I enjoy it.

He still pays a lot of tax, more than we as a small family consume in the community,
and I don't feel that we are cheating seeing as we are serving the community and
environment teaching and promoting permaculture.  Given that Australias top 100
earners didn't pay any tax last year - I feel this is a good use of community funds.

Who else can teach to people in Remote Northern Territory or in Goal,
from a happy home and office?
April