[monkeywire] Atkinson adopts abused chimpanzee

carrie mclaren brooklynite282 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:24:15 EDT 2008

 Atkinson adopts abused chimpanzee
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a96922/atkinson-adopts-abused-chimpanzee.html

Wednesday, May 28 2008, 18:26 BST

By Simon Reynolds<http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a96922/atkinson-adopts-abused-chimpanzee.html#>,
Entertainment Reporter

Former *Hollyoaks* actress Gemma Atkinson has adopted a chimpanzee called
Bryan.

The 23-year-old and her footballer boyfriend Marcus Bent decided to adopt
the animal after discovering he had been abused by his owner in Mexico.

Atkinson contacted Monkey World in Dorset after seeing a TV programme
detailing the lives of the animals there.

The park, founded by the late Jim Cronin in 1987, was founded to protect
rare primate species around the world from extinction.

Atkinson said: "We have adopted Bryan, who was being kept by a beach
photographer. We are delighted to help out. This is a brilliant cause that
Jim started and we only hope that other people jump on board and adopt."

The Monkey World rescue centre features on the Five show *Monkey Life*.