Monkey snatches baby as mother breastfeeds

Carrie McLaren carrie at stayfreemagazine.org
Thu Oct 25 12:36:47 EDT 2001

Agence France Presse
October 25, 2001 Thursday 6:23 AM Eastern Time

HEADLINE: Monkey snatches baby as mother breastfeeds

DATELINE: KOTA BAHARU, Malaysia, Oct 25

A young Malaysian mother was stunned when the family's pet monkey
snatched her baby as she was breastfeeding him and dashed out of the
house, a report said Thursday.

Cries for help from 24-year-old Rosmani Lilawati Shaari brought three
sisters-in-law into the chase and the monkey was finally cornered --
but it would not give up the month-old baby.

"It refused to let my son go, curling up itself instead while hugging
my son closer to its chest," said Rosmani.

A 10-minute tug-of-war ensued, with the baby reportedly calm and
uncrying in the arms of the monkey, a male, which had escaped from a
leash tying it to a tree.

--
----
Backup email: stay.free at verizon.net