Forest Farming Case Studies - Midwestern US

Steve Gabriel steve at fingerlakespermaculture.org
Sat Mar 30 09:21:18 EDT 2013

Case studies offer a glimpse into the future potential of forest
farming. While the concept may be new to many of us, there are silent
farmers and gardeners working all over the US (and beyond), growing
non-traditional crops like mushrooms, ginseng, and hickory nuts. We want
our book to encourage dialogue and a greater expansion of forest farming
in temperate regions. To this end, we are committed to collecting,
telling, and facilitating the stories of established forest farmers and
to connect them with new forest farmers.

We are currently planning for a research trip to the Midwest. This trip
brings us to one of the colder temperate regions of the US, and should
offer insight into the challenges and opportunities of tree-based
agriculture. Despite the challenging environment, some of the most
incredible examples of woody agriculture exist in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Can you assist by connecting us <http://farmingthewoods.com/the-survey/>
to more forest farmers? Please contact us if you know more sites in the
upper Midwest. Your contribution to our campaign
<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/300268/emal/378750> also is also
needed. Your gift of $50 or more can help get us to the Midwest to share
the stories online for free and in the upcoming boo. We will express our
gratitude with a signed copy of the book
<http://farmingthewoods.com/the-book/> when it is published
<http://farmingthewoods.com/2012/10/11/chelsea-green-to-publish-the-forest-farm-book/>
in 2014!

FULL ARTICLE: