Help us find and tell the stories of Forest Farmers.

Steve Gabriel steve at fingerlakespermaculture.org
Fri Mar 22 23:06:56 EDT 2013

Are you currently farming the woods, or know someone who is?

As part of our research while writing our book Farming the Woods, we
have developed a survey so we can collect information about forest
farmers in the temperate climate. Our is to collect and tell the stories
of forest famers our our website and in our book, all while building a
network and supporting conversations so we can all better practice this
agroforestry strategy.

The survey can be found at: http://FarmingTheWoods.com/the-survey.

The following is an example of the case studies we want to document. Ken
visited several forest farming sites during his 2012 sabbatical. It
inspired us to visit and research more, but we need your help to do so.
Visit http://igg.me/at/farmingthewoods and make a donation to support
our work!

CASE STUDY: Salamander Springs Gardens, Marshall, NC

Rodney and Heather have homesteaded their 75 acre farm in the Blue Ridge
Mountains of western North Carolina for twenty years. We meet Rodney at
the bottom of a steep, rocky driveway that our 2WD car is not at all
suited to climb. Rodney is about six foot six, and has a full bushy
beard on its way from brown to gray. He was born in Fairbanks, AK.

The son of an Army Airborne Ranger turned Chaplain, he moved regularly
in life until finally settling in the mountains of Western North
Carolina in 1992. "Narrowly avoiding a college degree", he turned to
environmental activism, bioregionalism and permaculture which has
gradually led him to become a gentleman farmer. Their lifestyle is low
impact while supplying as much of their own food as possible. Their
expressed goal is to "restore and maintain rare forest components with
an emphasis on maximizing biodiversity".

READ THE FULL ARTICLE:
http://farmingthewoods.com/2013/03/21/salamander-springs-gardens/

--
I am working on a book! www.FarmingTheWoods.com