Cornell U offers Permaculture Course Online 2014

Steve Gabriel steve at fingerlakespermaculture.org
Tue Dec 3 17:23:11 EST 2013

CORNELL PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE

Registration is now open for the online course Permaculture Design:
Fundamentals of Ecological Design
<http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/extension-outreach/distance-learning/permaculture-design-fundamentals-ecological-design>, offered
*January 6 to February 20, 2014 *through the Department of
Horticulture's distance learning program
<http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/extension-outreach/distance-learning>.

The study of permaculture helps gardeners, landowners, and farmers
combine knowledge of ecology combined with its application to supporting
healthy soil, water conservation, and biodiversity.

Permaculture systems meet human needs while restoring ecosystem health.
Common practices include no-till gardening, rainwater catchment, forest
gardening, and agroforestry.

The course is 6.5 weeks long and provides an opportunity for you to
build your knowledge about permaculture and ecological design.
Participants will explore the content through videos, readings,
and activities and complete portions of a design for a site of their
choosing. Notable on the Cornell course is the attention paid to
research-based content that is both accurate and innovative.

While the course is online, the format is designed for consistent
interaction between instructors and students through forums and live
video conferences. Readings and presentations will be directly applied
through hands-on activities students will engage with at home.

View the full syllabus for the course and find registration information
at the course website
<http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/extension-outreach/distance-learning/permaculture-design-fundamentals-ecological-design>.

Department of Horticulture's distance learning program
<http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/extension-outreach/distance-learning> offers
two other online permaculture design courses:

Permaculture Design: Ecosystem Mimicry
<http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/extension-outreach/distance-learning/permaculture-design-ecosystem-mimicry> (Tentatively
scheduled for March 3 to April 17, 2014)

Permaculture Design: Design Practicum
<http://hort.cals.cornell.edu/extension-outreach/distance-learning/permaculture-design-design-practicum> (Tentatively
scheduled for April 21 to May 19, 2014)

Completion of a single class gives students a certificate of completion
from the Department of Horticulture and continuing education units.
Completion of all three courses gives students the portfolio necessary
to apply for an internationally recognized certification in Permaculture
Design though the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
<http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org/>. *Fee for the first two
classes is $600, and $300 for the design practicum. ($1500 total for
certificate)* Registration opens about six weeks before courses begin

What past students have to say:

"This course offered an exceptionally comprehensive overview of
permaculture design."

"Overall the class was fantastic and gave me a whole new vocabulary
around how I think about interacting with my environment. I will take a
lot of the basic principles with me in whatever I do, not just the garden."

"The content is clear for beginner to get the general understanding, at
the same time it is leaving many leads for further explorations. I liked
the presentations from Steve. They were very interesting, organized and
easy to understand."

"I am so glad that Cornell offers this class and just can't wait to
learn more! I came away very excited about all I have learned and eager
to implement the project plan I developed. I really, really enjoyed this
course and am very much look forward to taking II and III."

ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR

Steve Gabriel is an ecologist, extension educator, and forest farmer
living and working in the Finger Lakes Region of central New York. He
currently spends his time working for the Cornell Cooperative Extension,
splitting his efforts between the Garden-Based Learning program
(www.gardening.cornell.edu <http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/>) and
coordinating the Northeast Mushroom Growers Network. He also teaches for
the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
<http://blogs.cornell.edu/mushrooms/about/www.fingerlakespermaculture.org>
and serves on the Board of Directors for the Permaculture Institute of
the Northeast
<http://blogs.cornell.edu/mushrooms/about/www.thepine.org>. He is
currently co-authoring a book on Forest Farming
<http://blogs.cornell.edu/mushrooms/about/www.forestfarmingbook.com>
with Cornell professor Ken Mudge, which is expected to be published
through Chelsea Green in 2014.

--
Steve Gabriel
Extension Aide