Primitive Pursuits Spring Calendar

Sandra Repp sjr37 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 14 12:50:48 EDT 2011

Primitive Pursuits Spring Calendar
After-school, Home School, School break -Teen & Adult Programs

To register for any of the following programs, or
for more information,
visit  www.primitivepursuits.com, call (607)
272-2292, ext.195, or email PrimitivePursuits at cornell.edu.

AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS

After School Program at Eco-Village
Tuesdays, March 22–June 14 (no program 4/19) 3:30-5:45pm
at EcoVillage, Rachel Carson Way, Ithaca NY
  A 12-week spring session for youth ages 6-12.
Come discover the mysteries in your backyard, and
gather natural resources for food, fire, and
fun!  Build a base camp in the diverse forest on
the West Hill, and find yourself at home in the
wild as you learn the trees and tracks around
you. Craft tools, play games, and bring home your
own tales of adventure each week. Cost: $140 -
$210 (self-determined sliding scale)

Wilderness Explorers After School program
Wednesdays, March 23–June 15 (no program 4/20, 5/18), 2:30-5:00pm
at 4-H Acres, 418 Lower Creek Road, Ithaca NY
An 11-week spring session for students in grades
3-5. What do you get when you cross several
hundred acres of diverse wild spaces, skilled
wilderness instructors, and a group of students
eager for adventure? Come join the fun and you’ll
find out! As one parent summed it up “My son
wants to live with your staff at Primitive
Pursuits” Activities will include:
fire-by-friction, navigation skills,
edible/medicinal plant use, team and solo
challenges, shelter building, and primitive
tool-crafting. Cost: $175 - $255 (self-determined
sliding scale).  Add $25 per child for Pick up
and Drop off @ School (BJM, Fall Creek)

Belle Sherman Elementary After School Program
Mondays, March 21-June 13, 2:00-4:30pm (3 options available, below)
For 2nd–5th grade students of BSE
What do you want your child to do after school
today? How about sending them out into the world
of singing birds and bursting spring buds to
learn about themselves and the wilderness all
around? Through games played and stories told in
the woods outside their school, we will begin to
learn to recognize the many unique species of
trees, plants and animals that call Ithaca home.
While making crafts & tools from natural
materials children will touch on broader concepts
of geology and ecology. We will explore and learn
together, following trails of time and our animal
neighbors.  Primitive Pursuits welcomes your
child to the outdoors with safe, fun challenges
and adventures that are not to be missed.
Early Spring session (5 weeks): March 21 – April
25 (no program 4/18). Cost: sliding scale of $65-$90
Late Spring session (6 weeks): May 2 – June 13
(no program 5/30). Cost: sliding scale of $80-$100
Full Spring session (11 weeks): March 21 – June
13 (no program 4/18, 5/30). Cost: sliding scale of $140-$200

South Hill Elementary
(4) Fridays, April 1–May 6 (no program 4/15, 4/22), 2:00-4:30pm
For 3rd–5th grade students of South Hill Elementary
What do you want your child to do after school
today? How about sending them out into the world
of singing birds and bursting spring buds to
learn about themselves and the wilderness all
around? Through games played and stories told in
the woods outside their school, we will begin to
learn to recognize the many unique species of
trees, plants and animals that call Ithaca home.
While making crafts & tools from natural
materials children will touch on broader concepts
of geology and ecology. We will explore and learn
together, following trails of time and our animal
neighbors.  Primitive Pursuits welcomes your
child to the outdoors with safe, fun challenges
and adventures that are not to be missed. Cost: sliding scale of $60-$90

HOME-SCHOOL PROGRAMS

Spring Tracks & Trails (Ages 5 – 9)
Mondays, March 21–June 13, 11-week session (no
program 4/18, 5/30), 9:30am-1:00pm
at EcoVillage, Rachel Carson Way, Ithaca NY
For homeschooled youth ages 5-9 (and their
parents). From songs and stories to games,
foraging, and fire-building, this spring the
adventure continues as the spring sap
flows.  Along with our small community of
students, parents, experienced instructors, and
teen-mentors, we are excited to be joined by
red-winged blackbirds, spring peepers, blooming
maples, red squirrels, wood nettles, wild mint,
and many other special teachers. Come catch the
nature-bug with some of the wildest two-leggeds
around! Cost: $250-$350, sliding scale.

Youth Nature Awareness Program
Thursdays, March 24–June 16, 12 week session (no program 4/21), 9:00am-1:30pm
at 4-H Acres, 418 Lower Creek Road, Ithaca NY
For homeschooled youth ages 6-14. If you've heard
great things about Primitive Pursuits, chances
are they happened here! Youth are invited to
immerse themselves in a long-term relationship
with the wild and empowering world of nature.
Through the use of primitive and naturalist
skills, stories, games and challenges we are able
to create a powerful community experience. Come
find out why our longest running program remains
our best attended program, and find out why
Primitive Pursuits is "Not Your Typical Classroom".
Cost: $350-$450, sliding scale.

TEEN PROGRAMS

NEW! Mentor-In-Training (M.I.T)
Youth ages 14 - 17 may participate at many of our
regular scheduled programs as Young Mentors in
training. Participants will shadow Primitive
Pursuits instructors developing their own set of
mentoring tools and learning the skills of an
environmental educator. Space is limited and
interested teens must apply. As with many trades,
apprenticing is perhaps the best way to gain
certain valuable skills that shape us as
individuals and that we may call upon for the
rest of our lives. As a Mentor in Training youth will be receiving just that.
When: Schedules will be created on a case by case
basis in conjunction with one of other  regular scheduled programs
Where: Locations will be dependent on site of the
program where you are mentoring
Cost: Seasonal fee of $150 - $300 self determined
sliding scale allows participants to mentor at as
many programs a week as they desire.

Survival on Saturdays (S.O.S) NEW Program!
(4) Saturdays, March 19, April 16, May 7 & June 4, 9:30am–1:30pm
Various natural areas near Ithaca
For youth Aged 14-17  It’s time. You know who you
are. You want skills. We want to challenge you.
Whether you’re a Primitive Pursuits old-timer, or
just ready to dive in, we’ll meet you out
there.  Each Saturday will be led by a rotation
of your dream team of primitive instructors,
including Tim Drake, Akiva Silver, Heidi Bardy, and Luke Learningdeer.
(For those of you who want to know what we’re
doing, you’ll know that we’re famous for never
telling ahead of time.) Cost: Sliding scale of $75-$150

SCHOOL BREAK PROGRAMS

Spring Camp 2011 (April school break)
Monday, April 18 – Friday, April 22, 9:00am – 3:30pm*
*Early drop-off at 8:30am.  Late pick-up to
5:00pm – pre-registration required.
at 4-H Acres, 418 Lower Creek Road, Ithaca NY
For youth ages 6-14.  Primitive Pursuits is a
year-round wilderness immersion program. We offer
completely outdoor programs, led by seasoned
wilderness instructors. We emphasize mentoring
through community building activities, wilderness
survival challenges and games, and mastering
survival skills and knowledge of the natural
world.  At our Spring Camp, each day you will
gather plants for food, tea, and tool-crafting,
follow tracks to the animal world, hone fire
skills at your base camp, and explore beautiful
wild places. We hope to see you there!
Cost: Choose from three options: (self-determined sliding scale)
#1) Monday & Tuesday  $110-$165
#2) Wednesday to Friday $150-$225
#3) Monday to Friday $225-$325

ADULT PROGRAMS

Know Your Trees: Free Monthly Tree Walk Series
(6) Saturdays 2:15-4:15 (1/22, 2/19, 3/19, 4/9, 5/7, 6/4)
at Eco Village Ithaca N.Y. (meet at song common house)
For: Adults and children with supervision.  Join
Akiva Silver, tree lore raconteur extraordinaire,
and kindle your own passion and appreciation for
the world of trees. If you want to go beyond
simple identification to learn their edible,
medicinal and utilitarian uses then this is the
walk for you. Join Akiva for a six-part series
held one Saturday a month beginning in January.
If you can’t make this one but want to stay in
the loop “become a fan” on our FaceBook page or
let us know that you would like to join our
mailing list!  Cost: FREE! Donations gratefully
accepted.  Pre-registration is not required but
it is recommended in the event that we must
cancel the walk. Please come dressed for the weather.