Tilling Soil of the Community - Open Dialogue/Event this Tuesday 6:30pm

Liz Falk elizabethfalk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:45:24 EST 2011

Tilling the Soil of Community
Community Food Security Dialog
Tuesday March 15
6:30 - 8:30 PM *note, start time is 6:30, not 7
Womens Community Building
Ithaca, NY
------------

Mark your calendars for the Community Food Security(CFS) Dialogue :
"Tilling the Soil of Community".

History to this meeting:
Our last meeting was canceled due to a hazardous weather forecast on
Feb. 2nd, 2011. At the  December 8th, 2010 CFS meeting 80 + community
members attended. During the meeting  we gathered together in smaller
groups for 45 minutes. Each group/table addressed the question " What
would a healthy food system look like that worked for everyone?" and
each group shared thoughts, concerns and ideas  with the larger group.
The responses addressed most aspects of the food system from
production to consumption and recycling ( compost). Topics included
education, health awareness, access, land acquisition, transportation,
school food and many more. These notes will be available on March 15th.

A local food system that is equitable is truly the food system that is
sustainable...meeting the need for healthy food at all times for
everyone.

Please invite those you know are interested in supporting a healthy
local food system that is equitable.
*Child care will be provided. If you will be needing childcare please
reply by email or call 607-272-2292 ext. 157. This will help in
planning for enough care providers and children activities.
*Light snacks and beverages will also be provided.

Tilling the Soil of Community
Community Food Security Dialog
Tuesday March 15
6:30 - 8:30 PM
Womens Community Building
Ithaca, NY

Agenda
7:00        Welcome, recap of previous dialogues, meet your neighbors
7:10        Telling Our Stories. Hear from local community members
about their personal experience of food insecurity
7:30        Small group discussion:
How do we feel about working with one another across differences?
What are some of the positive benefits of working with people who have
very different circumstances/experiences from ours?
What are some of the challenges?
How can we support one another in working together respectfully and
effectively to create the food system we envision?
8:10        Brief recap from each group, 1 min each
8:20        Wrap-up and next steps. Please speak with a facilitator to
express interest in working on Food System Planning.
8:30        END Thank you everyone!

Whole Community Project-
Mission:  Ensuring that all children and adults have all the healthy
food they need and plenty of opportunities for safe and fun physical
activity.

E.Jemila Sequeira, MSW
Coordinator, Whole Community Project
Cornell Cooperative Extension- Tompkins