local organic chicken feed available

Thomas Shelley tjs1 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 3 23:59:45 EST 2011

Dear Friends--Please pass this along to anyone raising chickens who
might be interested.

I have started buying 60 pound bags of mixed organic flour and grain
products from Farmer Ground Flour in Trumansburg.  See
http://farmergroundflour.squarespace.com/ for information on this business.
I am paying 10 cents per pound for a high-quality base for chicken
feed for our 90 or so laying hens.  The mixed grains are corn, wheat,
oats, buckwheat and maybe a couple of other grains.  The texture is
mostly flour or meal-like with some course ground material and
occasional whole grains.  I purchased a 40 pound bag of Fertrell
Nutri-Balancer for poultry and a 60 pound bag of fish meal from
Hilltop Organic Distributors in Dundee NY.  When mixed together they
make a high quality layer mash that is very similar in appearance and
texture to the layer mash distributed by Lakeview Organic Grain --
for which we pay c. $24 per bag for a 40 pound bag!  My "homemade"
layer mash is about 1/5 of the cost of the Lakeview mix which makes
for a much more sustainable chicken feed, as well as supporting a
local business.  If you would like more information please feel free
to contact me.  Have a wonderful day.   Tom

Tom Shelley
118 E. Court St.
Ithaca, NY 14850
607 342-0864
tjs1 at cornell.edu

Learn more about the Sustainable Chicken Project at
http://steephollowfarm.wordpress.com/

http://www.myspace.com/99319958 (Last updated 12/21/09.)
http://www.facebook.com/129295929#/home.php (Last updated 12/21/09.)

Compost Educator and Sustainability Scion*

What Does Zero Waste Mean?
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished,
refinished, resold, recycled, or composted, then it should be
restricted, redesigned, or removed from production."
Berkeley Zero Waste Resolution
See  http://www.cityofberkeley.info/council8/newsletter.pdf

*noun:  a shoot or bud of a plant, esp. one for planting or grafting