Volunteer Opportunity

Linda Voith whollycow at earthlink.net
Sat May 29 14:56:22 EDT 2010

*Volunteers Welcome at Goshala (Animal Haven) and Sustainable Farm in
Southwestern NY
**
Activities at the farm include:
Hand milking two protected Jersey cows. Feeding and cleaning stalls for
7 cows and 6 goats. **Morning and evening thanksgiving fire
ceremonies.** **** Learning compassionate animal training and healing
modalities. Making milk products, such as yogurt, butter, cheese and
ghee in small batches. Installing and maintaining electric fences for
paddocks in a pasture rotational grazing system. Planning, planting,
weeding and harvesting in an organic vegetable (and strawberry) garden.
Baking bread. Selling farm products at a farmers market stand. Playing
with kittens. Putting together newsletters, and videos of the animals
and farm activities. Also included are washing dishes, pots and milking
equipment. Mowing lawns and/or managing the animals who mow our lawns.
Greeting Guests to the Goshala, (farm animal haven).

We are located 2 hours west of Ithaca and 35 min from Alfred University.
It is a very rural area. There is a county bus system; the farm is about
1 mile from the bus stop. We need help at any time of year, summers
especially.

Accommodations available in a solar guest house, (electric use is
limited at this time). Expect adventures learning to live in a house run
by an off grid solar electric system. Vegetarian meals only,  (we do
cook with the milk from our cows who receive lifetime protection,
however we do not allow meat, fish or eggs). Family atmosphere. No drugs
or alcohol use permitted on the property.

Qualifications:
Common Sense, Self Determination, Love of Animals and willingness to be
ready to work by 6-7 am are of paramount importance. (Lots of free time
during the heat of the day, work resumes again in the afternoon).
Carpentry skills are a plus, but not necessary.  Expect to help with,
(or live around), some light construction this spring and summer in the
solar guest house, (ie drywall, painting etc...) If you have
construction skills, occasional  employment opportunities available.
References required.* *

Contact:
Jason Laracuente
**whollycow at earthlink.net* <mailto:whollycow at earthlink.net>