"Living Downstream" documentary 5/26/2010 I.C. Finger Lakes Project Workshop

burns michael at fingerlakespermaculture.org
Fri May 21 10:23:35 EDT 2010

Acclaimed "Living Downstream" documentary will kick off next week's
Ithaca College Finger Lakes Project Workshop

Raised in small-town Illinois, cancer seems to run in Sandra
Steingraber’s family. Sandra was diagnosed with bladder cancer
when she was just twenty years old. Her mother was diagnosed with
breast cancer when Sandra was in high school, and many of her aunts
and uncles have struggled with the disease. One aunt even died from
the same form of bladder cancer that Sandra had. But while cancer runs
in her family, she cannot say that it runs in her genes. Sandra is
adopted. This unusual twist led Sandra to ask what else families have
in common besides their DNA. The answer is all around us: our
environment.

Based on the acclaimed book by ecologist and cancer survivor Sandra
Steingraber, Ph.D., Living Downstream is an eloquent and cinematic
feature-length documentary. This poetic and character-driven film
follows Sandra during one pivotal year as she travels across North
America, working to break the silence about cancer and its
environmental links. At once Sandra's personal journey and her
scientific exploration, Living Downstream is a powerful reminder of
the intimate connection between the health of our bodies and the
health of our air, land and water.

The film will screen at Textor 101 on Wednesday May 26 at 8 pm.
Sandra, who is an Interdisciplinary and International Studies Scholar-
in-Residence at IC, will be present to introduce the film, which is
free and open to the public.

Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact
the Department of Environmental Studies & Sciences at 274-1822. We ask
that requests for accommodations be made as soon as possible

http://www.ithaca.edu/intercom/article.php/20100520125552335#comments

http://flxpermaculture.net