Cayuta-Catatonk Watershed Group

Michael Burns michael at fingerlakespermaculture.org
Wed Aug 25 13:49:49 EDT 2010

Volunteer Water Monitoring Training Workshop Series

PLEASE FORWARD AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS

 Our beautiful, clean watersheds of the Cayuta and Catatonk Creeks are up to
us to preserve. With increased industrial activity slated for our area (from
shale gas extraction), we need to be prepared. Gathering baseline data and
monitoring stream health are powerful tools we can use to protect our water
resources.

 Your help is needed! Do you have a favorite fishing spot or swimming hole? Do
you live near a creek or in the watershed? Do you like spending time out
doors? Do you want to participate in a community science project and learn
more about your local environment?

 Please come and get trained by Dr. Stephen Penningroth, director of Community
Science Institute on how to create and implement a water-monitoring project.

Tentative workshop topics are:
 1) August 29th, 3pm to 6pm. Maps, watersheds, and general land use impacts on
water quality;
 2) September 12th, 3pm to 6pm. Monitoring techniques: a) "Red flag" indicator
tests for gas well contamination: temperature, conductivity, total hardness,
pH and dissolved oxygen; b) Benthic macroinvertebrates (BMI); and c)
Observational monitoring.
 3) TBA. Identification of gas well permits; selection of monitoring locations.
 4) TBA. A fourth workshop devoted exclusively to BMI could be added if there
are volunteers interested in investing the time to learn this powerful
biological monitoring technique.

Workshops will be held at the Spencer Municipal Building (behind the library)
41 N. Main Street, Spencer, NY 14883

For more information or to RSVP (appreciated but not required) Call Candace at
607-589-6412

###
http://FLXpermaculture.Net
###