permaculture of the ditch

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Aug 12 09:20:04 EDT 2010

On 8/11/10 8:38 PM, Stephanie Colombo wrote:
> It might be worth checking out other varieties of impatiens. Jewelweed
> is a common native plant of the upstate ny region and its essential oil
> is amazing as a remedy for poison ivy.

I have Touch-Me-Nots, which I'm pretty sure are Jewelweed.  The road
area is one of the few places they haven't tried to colonize, but I can
certainly encourage them to try.  They're also nicely easy to pull if
they get out of control.  (I fell backwards when I blindly grabbed to
pull what I thought was a goldenrod but turned out to be a Touch-Me-Not.)

> The Himalayan Balsam
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Balsam> , though not native, is
> beautiful and is one of the remedies of Bach's flower remedies
> <http://www.bachflower.com/> for those of a high strung nature.

Exploding seed pods are always fun, and might give some extra pedestrian
interest.

Thanks!

--
Simon St.Laurent