Jerusalem conference

Bob MacDonald bobmacdonald at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 30 21:27:37 EDT 2002

Steve Black wrote:
>>How about the possibility that Paul simply didn't like the decrees, and
did not want to actively support them or spread them

Mark Nanos makes a good case for the decree as a principle underlying the
Epistle to the Romans in Mystery of Romans (I can't give you a reference
since I have lent my copy, but it is a well reasoned argument - and somewhat
central to the intent of the decree and of Romans - a little accommodation
of each other's scruples or weaknesses.) I also think an argument could be
made for the underlying thinking of the decree in 1 Corinthians as I think I
remember form John Hurd in his The Origin of 1 Corinthians - yes long
section on this beginning p 246 and a conclusion on p 261 that the 'previous
letter' contained a summary of regulations arising from the decree.)

I think the possibility that Paul conformed his priorities to his own likes
and dislikes is nearly zero.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald at shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +

Catch the foxes for us,
for our vineyards are in flower.   (Song 2.15)
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca