Horsley's use of Draper

David C. Hindley dhindley at compuserve.com
Sat May 25 11:19:38 EDT 2002

Greetings,

During the recent seminar with Richard Horsley, mention was
made of socio-economic motivators as they function in urban
settings. This, of course, led to comments being made
regarding the transition period between an undeniably rural
origin of the Jesus movement and the form it took under Paul
(as traditionally understood).

The subject of Jonathan Draper came up. Horsley referred to
a recent collection of essays published by Draper, which I
took to be a reference to several essays on the subject of
the _Didache_ published by Brill in 1995 and 1996. Upon
looking these essays up (I luckily happened to have copies
of these two volumes available to me) I was struck by the
unique nature of Draper's interpretation of the evidence
regarding the _Didache_'s origins.

In Draper's view the Jesus movement, centered around the
radical, itinerant and quite charismatic Jesus during his
lifetime, immediately routinized after his death and
centered itself physically and financially in Jerusalem.