xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] java.net migration

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] java.net migration
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:23:00 +0000

You should at least consider it since the opportunity coincides with the
already planned migration
and, as was demonstrated, the switch is trivial. The Mercurial user
interface is similar enough to
SVN that you can probably carry on much as you have without much additional
learning or change in
personal workflow.

My experience was that switching from Subversion to Mercurial involved a substantial learning curve and also a change in development processes - you have to work the way the tool expects you to work. In fact, after a week we gave up - it may well have been worth persevering, but we ran out of patience. The Mercurial documentation does warn you that this experience is not unusual.

Michael Kay
Saxonica