xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] java.net migration

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: c0d3g33k <c0d3g33k AT gmail.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] java.net migration
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:00:05 -0500

On 01/23/2011 09:37 AM, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I'm not planning to use mercurial. SVN seems fine for XOM's needs, and I
> really don't want to
> learn a sixth (or is that seventh) source code control system. :-)

You should at least consider it since the opportunity coincides with the
already planned migration
and, as was demonstrated, the switch is trivial. The Mercurial user
interface is similar enough to
SVN that you can probably carry on much as you have without much additional
learning or change in
personal workflow.

The thing is, it's not only XOM's (ie. ERH's) needs that a move to Mercurial
would affect. It may
very well improve the experience of members of the XOM community, and for a
FLOSS project that
should matter.

I should note this isn't about blind advocacy of the tool du jour. For the
typical FLOSS use case
(track upstream while maintaining local changes that aren't ready or suitable
for upstream), using
one of the recent distributed version control systems has improved the
experience quite a lot
compared to CVS/SVN. Not in a revolutionary way, but it removes some of the
'friction' from the
process, and that makes a bigger difference than one might expect (than I
expected, at least).