xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz AT sonic.net>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Iterable Elements
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 19:15:20 -0700

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 19:02, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > I'm sure you'll balk at this--I would--but I'm seeing some library
> > JARs released in multiple versions, depending on which version of
> > Java / JVM they are to be used with. The JGraphT and Javolution
> > libraries do this, e.g.. Both use generics and have some sort of
> > retro transformation that renders their source code pre-1.5
> > compatible. I don't know offhand whether they use any of the new
> > library / compiler types such as Iterable and if so how they handle
> > that.
>
> If generics actually worked and could be relied on, that would be a
> significant benefit to using Java 5. But since they can't be relied
> on, I couldn't use them for XOM, even if I were to move to Java 5 so
> the point's moot.

Oh, come now. They are what they are and do what they do. It's not as if
they're nondeterministic or something.

You know, if you don't like the Java language, there are plenty of
others to work with.

You could always invent a new programming language that corrects all the
errors of the past and leads us to a shining new future where
programmers merely conceive of a design and, voila!, it's as good as
coded...

Randall Schulz