xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Xom and Jaxen dependency

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Adam Constabaris <adamc AT unc.edu>
  • To: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Xom and Jaxen dependency
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:37:26 -0500

Elliotte Harold wrote:
Steve Loughran wrote:
Elliotte,

are you by any chance the author of the Xom and Jaxen POM metadata
files? The Jaxen one is a bit of a mess:
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/jaxen/jaxen/1.1-beta-8/jaxen-1.1-beta-8.pom

1. it should declare all its dependencies (dom4j, jdom, xerces and
xom) optional, unless they really are required.
2. it should go to a later version of Xom than 1.0b3.

Maven's pretty bad at this stuff. I'm not sure why it doesn't allow a later version to substitute for an earlier version if necessary.

If you explicitly declare a later version of a dependency in the POM you're using for a local build, then that will be what's pulled in. For the record, Maven does have a facility for declaring "version X or later" in a dependency (e.g. "[2.4)" for "version 2.4 or later"), although I'm not clear on how well it works.

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Improving+Maven2+Dependency+Resolution

I'm not sure I'd want my build tool to automatically pull in the latest version of a dependency found in the repository: you never know when an "upgrade" will break something.

OTOH, the automatic approach might work if the metadata in the repository contained info about which updates are backward compatible.

AC