xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why is Element.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <wolfgang.hoschek AT mac.com>
  • To: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why is Element.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:28:51 -0800

element.query("namespace::node()");

This would give you a list of all the namespaces in scope on the
element, including those inherited from the ancestor. Do you need more
than that? If so what? Or perhaps you need less than that?

if that returns all the namespaces in scope, then its all I need. I
hadnt thought of using XPath for that, being fairly ignorant of it
apart from basic up/down navigation. I will do the relevant research
and see what my unit tests tell me

This is *insanely* inefficienct because XOM's Jaxen based XPath impl does not cache compiled queries. So I would only recommend that approach if time is a non-issue for your use case. Which it may well be, I don't know.

Wolfgang.