xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why isElement.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • To: "'Elliotte Harold'" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why isElement.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:52:43 -0000

> Once XQuery is final, I'll need to consider whether or not that
> qualifies, or whether that needs this functionality. Isn't
> the namespace
> axis optional and even deprecated in XQuery?

It's no longer an axis, but the functionality is there in the
in-scope-prefixes() function

> It's also possible that if I like the final version of XQuery
> enough I
> might wrap it into XOM somehow instead of enabling external
> implementations.

This seems like a really bad idea from the point of view of modular software
construction. An XSLT or XQuery implementation should allow multiple parsers
and serializers and object model implementations, an object model
implementation should allow multiple parsers and serializers and query
processors, etc. The interfaces between these components are architecturally
a good thing and should be respected in the engineering.

Would you really want it to be impossible to do a join between two documents
because one of them is a XOM and the other isn't?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/