xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why isElement.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Michael Kay <mike AT saxonica.com>
  • Cc: 'xom-interest' <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Element. // Used for XPath and serialization Why isElement.getNamespacePrefixesInScope() private?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:49:23 -0500

Michael Kay wrote:

You can classify XQuery as an unfinished specification if you like, but XSLT
has been around for a few years...

Yes, but XOM already does XSLT. Remember replacing XOM's internals also doesn't qualify as an acceptable use case. Alternate implementations of XOM have been an explicit non-goal since day 1, thanks to all the trouble I saw that possibility causing DOM and JDOM (the latter of which doesn't actually enable alternate implementations, but still managed to get it itself sidetracked for over a year on that issue).

Once XQuery is final, I'll need to consider whether or not that qualifies, or whether that needs this functionality. Isn't the namespace axis optional and even deprecated in XQuery?

It's also possible that if I like the final version of XQuery enough I might wrap it into XOM somehow instead of enabling external implementations. Either way, this is not a decision I will make until there's a released specification I can depend on.