xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Some minor issues

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>
  • To: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Some minor issues
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 09:27:40 -0800

On Dec 5, 2004, at 2:43 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

2) Moving attributes into Element (see a prior thread)
I don't quite see how this could possibly increase memory consumption. Rather it reduces it slightly by eliminating one pointer to store. A pointer takes 4 bytes, and all pointers are the same, so where would there be a difference? Perhaps you accidentally initialized the ArrayList to something other than "null", which it normally is. Please check your measurements (or tools or methodology - memory consumption is notoriously hard to measure). The change also improves performance, as discussed earlier.

It increases memory because my initial implementation was brain-damaged. The current code is actually quite well-optimized for memory footprint. making major changes like this has a tendency to remove a lot of other, more important optimizations unless I'm quite careful.

Can you be more specific? How and why would that remove other optimizations?

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this idea, but it's not a quick fix, and needs careful testing and measurement. It's on my TODO list, along with some more aggressive optimizations along these lines. However, I may or may not get it done before 1.0.

The only 1.0 blocker right now is XInclude. Once the XInclude working group gets their final spec out I'll make any final fixes necessary in nu.xom.xinclude and call it 1.0. These sorts of internal changes can be done in 1.0.1 if the XInclude working group finishes before I get to this.