xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Some minor issues

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Wolfgang Hoschek <whoschek AT lbl.gov>, xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Some minor issues
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 05:18:38 -0500

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

I've mentioned before the problems involved with generating and interpreting meaningful benchmarks, in particular microbenchmakrs. As always, my tests use the binary codec, which is a meaningful way to measure the extent of any real improvements in this area.

I question how meaningful that particular case is. When you start with something that's not XML, and then generate something that's not XML, it doesn't really match a typical usage pattern.

There's also the concern that it's not just the application being benchmarked. It's the documents. Optimizations for one style of document may not apply or even have negative effects for others.

For instance, so far I have not been able to reproduce your result that short-circuiting nonrecursiveCopy (now copyChildren) was noticeably faster than just letting it run out. In my tests it ranged from a couple of percent faster to a couple of percent slower from run-to-run.