xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XML Canonicalization

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Stefan Matthias Aust <sma AT 3plus4.de>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XML Canonicalization
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:16:07 -0400

Hello!

I'm currently searching for the easierst and fastest way to convert documents into "C14N Exclusive" (www.w3.org/TR/xml-exc-c14n) form. I consider XOM the better DOM so far and I noticed that it supports Canonical XML already. C14N exclusive seems to be similar but not identical to that form.

I wonder whether XOM also supports the Exclusive variant. If not, would it be difficult to add? Are there alternative implementations that can be plugged into XOM?

It does not currently support that. There are no alternative implementations I'm aware of. It might be possible to write it either directly into XOM, or as a subclass if I knew a little more about it. I'm not 100% clear myself on just how exclusive canonicalization differs from regular canonicalization. Can you summarize the difference?

Off the top of my head, I vaguely recall that the difference only mattered when canonicalizing node-sets, not when canonicalizing full documents, but I could easily be wrong about that. Currently XOM only supports canonicalization of full documents.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)