xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0 alpha 1 is here

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT cs.okstate.edu>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM 1.0 alpha 1 is here
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 16:27:28 -0500

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:

> setBaseURI() and getBaseURI() are not perfectly symmetric.

To me that's a problem. They look like what I would consider a normal
setter and getter but don't behave that way.

> setBaseURI() effectively sets the actual entity URI for the element.

So why not call it setEntityURI?

> getBaseURI() returns the base URI as defined by XML Base, which is
> the actual entity URI, possibly modified by xml:base attributes.

It's a algorithm.

> I don't really see the use case for a method that returns the actual
> entity URI.

getBaseURI() needs any xml:base attributes on a element, the parental
hierarchy, and the actual entity URI of the document and any elements.
All that information is avialable from the XOM API except the actual entity
URI. Plus you can set the actual entity URI, but you cann't get the value
that's currently set. That just doesn't seem like good design.

Brad